Saturday, November 18, 2006

Hospitals and Blessings

Catching up on posting.....so this happened the week of October 23......

After having a phenemonal time at the 3-day, I unexpectedly ended up in the hospital for a day. I had been feeling really tired, which is unusual for me even throughout chemo. I'm talking REALLY tired - like I didn't care if I ate or anything. Then I had a strange twinge in my chest and then it became tightness. So I stopped by the see my good friends Dr. Gordon and Carolyn Peltier (his nurse, my sweet friend) just to get my vitals checked because Rick was worried I was going to have a heart attack and leave him with 3 girls and all the housework. So I figured I'd just be there a few minutes to get my blood pressure checked and be on my way! But my good friends sent me to the emergency room for further evaluation. And I guess because Gordon is a LEGEND at Northside the ER doc took my case very personally and very seriously and I ended up with THREE (3) wonderful doctors taking care of me and lots and lots of tests later I got to come home. But not before I had some laughs. My cardiologist had seen me in the ER and then again the following morning - both times I had my beautiful wig on my head. Then later in the day, he came to visit me to share test results, only this time, my hair was on the side table rather than on my head. Bless his heart - he came in and started apologizing that he had visited the wrong room - I finally convinced him it was me when I pointed to the side table and said "see - there's my hair, it's me I promise"! When one has no hair, no eyelashes, and a port that looks like one of those buttons that pops up when the turkey is done, one must find things to laugh about!

Final diagnosis after 24 hours in the hospital: maybe stress, maybe chemo. No heart problems though. I am in great shape. I am thankful my friends sent me though. It made me feel good to know that all of this chemo had not destroyed anything other than cancer!

The Sunday after I was in the hospital, I was blessed to be able to share my testimony at church. What a powerful day for me. God has taught me so much through this journey that 10 minutes hardly seemed enough time to share all the ways I am blessed. I am blessed that we caught the cancer early. I am blessed that I have phenomenal doctors. I am blessed to have the best husband and children in the world. And the best friends and neighbors. And the best dogs -- Hannah and Harley, who have faithfully sat at my feet or beside my bed for the past 65 months. And the best church and job - a job where I get to love and be loved every day, serving my Father in Heaven who teaches me every minute of my life what love truly is.

No comments: