Sunday, November 05, 2006

Atlanta 3-Day




October 20-22, 2006, 2,250 women, including my Asphalt Angels, walked 60 miles over 3 days to raise money and awareness for breast cancer. My daughter, Danielle, her best friend Blakely, my cousin Julie, my good friend Jane, and my new friends, Tracy M, Tracy C , and Pat, made up the Asphalt Angels team.

The team arrived at the 3-day opening ceremonies in style on Friday morning. Another team, the Boobsavers, had managed to get limos donated for the ride, and invited our team (even me!) to join them. It was amazing to arrive there to all of the fanfare, with the 3-day crew already cheering on the walkers!

The opening ceremony was wonderful, and as the walkers began their long trek, we cheered them out of the gate with our posters that had been designed by Danielle and made by Jane and Randy. As soon as they left, I got to the first cheering station, where my good friend Carolyn met me. We had a bit of a wait – the team passed a Starbucks and decided they needed a treat – then they had to make an unexpected pitstop in the woods!

That afternoon I went to the next cheering spot and had more fun. My friend Carole, who worked team and was back at camp waiting for my girls to arrive, had given me some great cheering tips and aids. I had a cowbell that made me very popular among the other cheerers – no need for screaming so much with that thing making so much noise!

By that evening, temperatures dropped to the 30s, and the girls called me to let me know that they had ice inside their tents! Saturday morning, I headed out early to cheer AND to take more clothing and provisions to camp. Good thing I had friends on the inside, or else I wouldn’t have been able to take more gear. Carole and Michelle met me and took the bags with extra blankets in –and I took them for a much needed burger break.

Saturday night it warmed up a bit, but began to rain :{ But alas, I received calls from the team that everyone was in good spirits and doing quite well.

Rick, Kat, Rebecca, and even Hannah and Harley, and I all went down to Piedmont Park early so that we could cheer on the walkers as they made their way to the finish line. Carolyn and Chad joined us, as did Bill Bean and Art. Carole and Amy were there too!
I can’t tell you how I felt when I saw my Danielle walking toward me, with that big grin on her face. She was the most beautiful thing I think I’ve ever seen! We walked across the finish line all together, and I was so thankful to be there in that moment.

The closing ceremonies were absolutely beautiful. We watched as over 2,000 women walked in, arm in arm, cheering one another on. But the amazing part is that they had all of the women who were survivors who had walked come in last. As these women came in, the rest of the walkers removed their shoes and held them up in honor of these women. It was so beautiful, and I cried for all of us. The survivors and everyone who loves them. For all women who may ever face this. For our daughters who we pray never will.

God is good. Thank you for supporting our team this year. You did good. It makes a difference.

No comments: