Thursday, May 31, 2007

One Year Later

Over the last couple of weeks, we've had several anniversaries around here. All are important. And they all signify life-changing events. This last year has been awful and amazing. The illness - awful. God's provision - amazing.

On April 27, 2006, our precious daughter Danielle was in an awful accident that could well have taken her from us. The shock of that accident served as a catalyst to get me to evaluate just how precious and tenuous this life can be. As a result of my prayer time about that, I was led to call for a mammogram. And so on April 27 this year, we celebrated the fact that God intervened in two ways one year ago: 1) he saved my baby girl when that truck plowed into her little car dubbed "the silver bullet" and 2) he saved me by nudging me to make the call that began this most awful year.

On May 18, 2006, after undergoing a mammogram, two ultrasounds, two exams, and a core needle biopsy (ouch!!!!), I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. So this year, on May 18, I prepared myself to get up and think about my most awful year all day. But God had other plans. Instead, I received a call to go to be with a church member at the hospital. She was in alot of pain, and I spent my morning sitting with her and doing what I could to comfort her. And then I spent the afternoon sittting with her husband while his beloved underwent a procedure to determine what was causing the pain. So I spent that entire day doing what God has taught me to do during this last year....being a Pastor and a friend-- having compassion for the pain, fear, and questioning of others.

And one year ago today, I had the lumpectomy that removed the cancer from my body, hopefully forever. I remember how amazed I was on that day that people came to be with me and my family. Several friends came and prayed over me before my surgery. Some who prayed over me were just mere acquantances, and I cried when I saw their compssion and faith. I had seen this many, many times and even participated in it as part of my work, but I had never been the person on the stretcher with a life-threatening disease crushing down upon me. This was the beginning of my "tenderizing" by God.

From that day on, God bombarded me with people's tenderness and thoughtfulness. I received cards, food, calls, and the most thoughtful gifts from people I didn't even know. I had at least 2 women pray over me that I had never seen in my life but met by circumstance. Both women told me God would heal me. One told me God was not too happy with the way I was doing my ministry, and she basically told me he wanted me to get out of the way (my ego) and let him do it. Whew.....

There are other anniversaries coming up....gettting my port, the first chemo, the last chemo. Getting my port OUT! The first radiation, the final radiation. The beginning of Femara and Fosomax. The hysterectomy.

But perhaps the best anniversary I've had recently was on April 29. On that day, Rick and I celebrated 7 years of marriage. And I do mean we celebrated. Because we are happy. Happy to be married. Happy to be married to one another. Blessed beyond belief. Equally yoked. Frighteningly similar. Laughingly different. In love. In like.

I am blessed beyond belief to be here today to write to you. And I'm so glad that God has tenderized me this past year. It hasn't always felt good, but it sure was what I needed.

God bless you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very neat! Thanks for filling in all those extra pieces.