Thursday, December 07, 2006

Radiation Begins

Now that chemo is done, I get to begin a new adventure in cancer treatment. Radiation. 6 weeks - 25-30 treatments.

So.....on Tuesday, November 28, just one day after having my port removed, I dutifully reported to the Radiation Center. The technicians took me back and showed me the daily routine. I come into the waiting area. My name will be called over the intercom. "Mrs. Watson, you may now report to the changing area". So I then go back and take off my clothes and put on this really, really cute little paper dress and wait in another waiting area with my clothes in tow. Then a technician comes out to get me and we go the room with the big skull and crossbones on the door that says "Massive Radiation Inside" (I'm only exaggerating a little bit here). Then they put me on this very narrow table that's connected to the big monster machine and they tie my feet together (I guess so if I try to run I can't get far). Then all of these really cool lasers come on and they line them up with parts of my body to be "radiated". But on this first day, I got to have some special fun. In order to know where to line the lasers up, my friendly technicians had to place tatoos on my sides and middle of my chest. Far better than the temporary marks they made with Sharpee pens, but still not as fun as a real tatoo. I tried to get them to give me a rising phoenix or a butterfly or something to show my grandchildren some day, but they weren't really amused. Guess they wanted to get to lunch or something.

So the next day, Wednesday, I have my first radiation. I go through all the steps and the radiation itself takes maybe 3 minutes tops. I'm not really sure how long it goes because I pray while it's going. But I know I don't get too far down my prayer list before they come back in and unhook my feet so I can run......... :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You just CRACK me up. I just love you. I am sorry for being out of touch, but have been reading and keeping up with your journey. I have refered your blog to a lady that was diagnosied w/ stage 4 a couple months ago and is now loosing hair and such. Her daughter and granddaughter are right there with her and I am making all three of them matching chemo caps to wear. You are so cool. I miss seeing you!
Love ya!